I know I am not alone in saying that Mother’s Day can be the sneakiest of holidays. After all, moms are the ones that remind us about everything… everything except the day that is all about them. Our moms have anticipated every need of ours since before we could tie our own shoes, and it’s time we show them our appreciation.
So here is my public service announcement: Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and it is time to get shopping!
How to give a thoughtful gift 101
What is her love language? What speaks to her heart? If you’re wondering what I mean about love languages, check out Gary Chapman’s book, The 5 Love Languages.
- Quality Time
- Acts of Service
- Physical Touch
- Words of Affirmation
– Quality Time: Plan a day to have a coffee date + treat her to mani/pedis.
– Gifts: Get her something she wouldn’t get herself. Lets make a vow to not get our moms things they need (i.e. new cleaning equipment) but things they wouldn’t spoil themselves with (i.e. jewelry or a gift card for a massage or facial.)
– Acts of Service: Clean the house for her so she doesn’t have to. Cook the Mother’s Day meal so she can have a break. Bonus points: Surprise her with a coffee or flowers sometime the week before.
– Physical Touch: Bring over a movie and popcorn and snuggle up next to her if you know that is what will mean the most to her.
– Words of affirmation: Write her a long letter telling her how much she means to you + pair it with a cute set of stationary.
When you’re really at a loss for what to get her remember all moms love coffee or tea. You cannot go wrong with a cute mug. Don’t forget, grandmas are moms too! Let’s take care of all the women in our lives who have made us who we are.
Bonus Tip: Ladies, let’s be real: the men in our lives aren’t ever prepared for Mother’s Day. This year: 1) Remind them 2) Help them pick something out 3) Go ahead and order it now. Come Mother’s Day, he wont even know what to do with himself in that window between church and brunch when he’s usually trying to grab a decent card from the remains at Target.
What are you ordering this year? Share your Mother’s Day gift ideas in the comments below! Cheers to spoiling the people who mean the most to us, and starting with our moms.
The 5 Love Languages | Gary Chapman
Mother’s Day Gifts for the Shopper | Nordstrom
Mother’s Day gifts for the Chef | Williams Sonoma
Mother’s Day gifts for the Home | West Elm