In Mama Suz’s kitchen, casseroles were anything but a staple. For whatever reason, casseroles just aren’t a thing among the North Westerners. When my mom sent me off with a family recipe book, the casserole section was entirely blank —not even a measly green bean casserole. Considering I married a man who grew up in Casserole Capitol, USA, I had to start learning quickly. I made it my goal to make it delicious without packing pounds onto my backside. Whatever it took to keep me from having a fat casserole, I was going to find it, and that meant southern casseroles were off the table.
Let me just tell you, I did it! This Skinny Chicken Casserole has the seal of approval from my Georgia boy and our fabulous new southern family!
What you need:
- 2 1/2 C cooked shredded chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken and pull apart in small pieces to make my life easier)
- 2 C butternut squash, peeled and cubed (You can buy this at Whole Foods or most grocery stores. If it’s not available, Sweet potatoes will be a good substitute)
- 1/2 C coconut cream (Skim off of the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 C green peas (if using frozen, thaw prior to adding to recipe)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
1. If you have not pre-prepared your chicken, place chicken in an additional pot of boiling water for 40 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and shred chicken using forks or a mixer.
2. Meanwhile, soften cubed / peeled butternut squash in large pot of boiling water for approx. 40 minutes. Remove butternut squash from pot using a strainer and place in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash butternut squash into somewhat of a smooth texture.
2. Add apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, thyme and onion powder to the mashed butternut squash and stir to combine.
3. Add coconut creme and oil, stirring to combine.
4. Stir in coconut oil, coconut creme, shredded chicken and green peas.
5. Place mixture in a large skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
Recipe makes 4 servings and you’ll wish you had more leftovers.
Carbs (the good ones): 15g
Fat: (healthy fat) 18g