¡SALUD! [Cheers to your health!]
Happy “Fifth of May” Day! To my dear Vogue Trippers out there, Cinco De Mayo is NOT Mexico’s Independence Day. That is in September. Cinco De Mayo is the day we celebrate their victory over the French army when they were vastly outnumbered. Random reason for us to celebrate with them? Absolutely. But I’ll be too busy sipping my marg to care. A celebration is a celebración and I will gladly give a salud to our southern neighbors!
As you prep for your Cinco Celebration, here are two of my personal favorite recipes! Guacamole is pretty tough to screw up, but my margaritas are where I get picky. I really don’t enjoy the sugar-trap of the restaurant-ritas so I make my own. I use all natural sugar and give it a sweet strawberry twist!
Cheers to Cinco!
- 4 avocados
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 freshly squeezed lime
- 1 vine ripe tomato
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1tsp garlic powder
- Dash of pepper
- I cut my avocados in half, slice into cubes while they are still in the skin
- Slide the cubes into the bowl and toss the peels and the pit (tip: save one pit off to the side)
- Chop the shallot, tomatoes, cilantro and add to the avocados.
- Squeeze limes into the mixture
- Add salt, garlic and pepper to taste
- stir and mash until you reach your desired consistency
- Take your saved pit and place it in the bottom, it keeps the guac green!
- Serve with my personal favorite, blue corn tortilla chips!
Ingredients (Serving size 4)
- 8-10 organic strawberries
- 4-5 freshly squeezed limes
- 4 cups ice
- 4 oz. tequila
- 4 tbsp agave
- [No salt…. That’ll only make you feel bloated]
- Wash and remove stems from your strawberries
- Roll your limes on the table to soften them
- Cut your limes in half and squeeze the juice into your blender (I highly recommend the Vitamix. It is totally worth all the hype.)
- Add strawberries, ice, tequila, and agave
- Start the Vitamix on the lowest setting and crank it up to the highest setting
- Blend for 30 seconds-1 minute until there are no more ice chunks
- Serve and say ¡Salud!